Photos and reports of birds seen in our area in recent months will be posted here with the approximate location. While the main focus will be on the Frostproof – Babson Park – Lake Wales area, sightings throughout Polk County will be included as well. If you wish to contribute a photo or photos, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org along with where and when it was taken, and any other pertinent information. Recent sightings only, please! No picture, no problem, just send an email with the information.
- Sightings on August 27th on a walk in Hillcrest Heights: Two Eastern Kingbirds; Ovenbird; Yellow Warbler; Red-eyed Vireo. (Reported by Jacque Woodward)
- On September 1st, Red-shouldered Hawk and Prairie Warbler, by Gail French.
- September 3rd: Brown Thrasher, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Downy Woodpecker, and Great-crested Flycatcher were seen in Hillcrest Heights by Gail French and Jacque Woodward.
- September 6: Yellow-throated Warblers, a pair of Bald Eagles, Prairie Warbler were seen in Hillcrest Heights by Gail French, Jacque Woodward and Joanne Wilson.
- September 12 – 14: Brown Thrasher, pair of Bald Eagles, seen in Hillcrest Heights at the dock; Black-bellied Whistling Ducks in Lake Wales near Hwy. 60 — Gail French
- Week of September 16: A number of Black-bellied Whistling ducks, including a pair with ducklings, are hanging out in the swampy area near the red barn maybe 1/4 mile east of Scenic Hwy on 630 in Frostproof. In Hillcrest heights, Belted Kingfisher, Prairie Warbler, Yellow-throated Warblers, Cooper’s Hawk.